Cheap Eats for the High School Student

A meal that tastes like your mom made it. Photo credit: Georgia Udall

Georgia Udall, Reporter

Lunch at Boise High isn’t too far off from a Black Friday sale at Target. Kids scatter in all directions, across the campus and downtown, to eat ravenously before they have to run back to school. While some kids buy lunch at the cafeteria or bring it from home, there is the occasion that they have a few bucks in their pockets and a lot of hunger.

Is this you, some days? Then tune in, because you are going to learn how to save loads of cash and have something tasty for your much deserved lunch break. You need to make the best of it! This review will tell you which restaurants are cheapest near Boise High. You’ll also learn whether or not the food is worth the price and if it’s a realistic destination.

1. The Boise Co-op- 888 W Fort St (.3 miles away, 6 minute walk)

We all know this place. It feels like home. If you’ve never popped into the Boise co-op, it’s definitely an essential part of the Boise experience. You can get a hearty slice of pepperoni pizza for $3.50, or homemade food $9 by the pound. For $6.32, a fairly big box of Southern-ish food like collard greens, cajun pork, vegetables, and mac and cheese is a filling lunch. You can be in and out quickly too. And with such a short walk from Boise High, this place is truly a win.

1. Boise Fry Company-204 N Capitol Blvd (.6 miles, 10 minute walk)

Us Idahoans have an innate need for potatoes in our diet. Boise Fry Company understands this, and they provide perfectly with a variety of fries and a burger on the side if you’re feeling special. A bit more pricey, one burger goes for $5.90 and a small fry is $2.99. Although, you get to choose what kind of fries, and pick from a wide variety of sauces that are sure to satisfy!

1. Even Stevens- 815 W Bannock St (.3 miles, 6 minute walk)

Sandwiches are a classic, yet delicious lunch option. While packed-from-home sandwiches can be tasty, why not spice it up a little? Even Stevens has classics like turkey, with a little something extra (cran-jalapeno jelly). There are other choices like bahn mi’s, and even vegan sandwiches! They go for about $6-9. Salads here are another great option, costing around $7. So, without a doubt, Even Stevens will take you all the way- to flavor town.

1. Bombay Grill- 928 W Main St(.6 miles, 10 minute walk)

Want to travel across the globe through a unique food experience? Then the Bombay Grill is your answer. Enjoy their student buffet for just $7, and eat all the Indian food you can while you have time. You’ll find dishes like Tikka Masala and Tandoori chicken, and even vegetarian options like Chana Masala and Saag Paneer. Paired with a big piece of naan, you’ll feel as if you’re living in the bustling urban India life and having home-cooked meals.

As Boise High Students, we are lucky to have all the wonderful lunch options we do, and especially to be smack dab at the center of them. Don’t worry: if you are hungry enough to eat trash, the dumpster behind the school isn’t always horrible.