Gubernatorial Candidate Brings Political Advice to Boise High

If+she+wins+Idaho%E2%80%99s+race+for+governor%2C+Paulette+Jordan+would+be+the+country%E2%80%99s+first+Native+American+governor.+

Photo Credit: Paulette Jordan for Idaho

If she wins Idaho’s race for governor, Paulette Jordan would be the country’s first Native American governor.

Alex Swerdloff, Social Media Editor

This year, in city council and special elections across the country, local voters ducked into booths and peered down at the ballot in front of them, the same way most of them had done for years. The difference, this time, were the names on that ballot.

While many candidates running for office were political veterans, there were newcomers, too, and they were a more diverse crowd. The elections of 2017 and 2018 drew more female candidates and candidates of color than usual, most of them driven by a desire for change after Trump’s election in 2016.

Even Idaho, with its male-dominated legislature and reputation as a majority-white state, has seen an increase in the diversity of those running for office. Perhaps the most historic of these candidates is Paulette Jordan: a former Democratic state representative from northern Idaho, a member of the Coeur D’Alene Native American tribe, and a candidate for governor of Idaho. If she wins, she’ll be the first Native American governor–not just in Idaho’s history, but in the history of the United States.

Alongside Boise High sophomore Katie Roth, Jordan will be presenting a workshop on running for office as a woman at Boise High’s Jusice Summit on April 21st.

“I reached out to Ms. Jordan to speak at the summit because she is knowledgeable about a multitude of social justice issues,” says Roth. “In fact, she has had lots of personal experience due to her diverse upbringing, including growing up on a reservation in Northern Idaho and rising above the odds to become such a powerful political figure.”

Roth hopes to bring that knowledge to those at Boise High through the presentation at the summit. “After the summit, I would hope staff and students would reach a better understanding on various issues facing Idaho and the people within it,” says Roth. “I would also hope that the audience would become intrigued to learn more about the current local political happenings.”

If those themes sound like something you’d be interested in, keep an eye out for Jordan and Roth’s workshop on Wednesday, April 21st.