Perspectives of Upper vs Lower Classmen

Photo Credit: Boise High School

Zoe Barkhurst, Nicole Kuykendoll, Reporters

One of the biggest myths from going from junior high to high school with Sophomores are the worst is  that All upperclassmen hate sophomores!! But this seems to be proven incorrect (mostly) when talking with Boise High School students One issue the juniors and seniors agree to have a problem with is the sophomores parking. Senior Nicolas Lubamersky states, “ I don’t like any of them, they’re annoying and can’t park.” Senior Jake Barkhurst seems to also dislike the underclassmen,quoting “ I don’t really like them, they are immature and all act like idiots.” Junior Kenzie Kluksdal contradicted this slightly,  as she believes she “would enjoy hanging out with them, they should hit us up more, but their parking does suck.”

Senior Taylor Rohn seems to agree, saying “ I understand how they could feel targeted because I was a sophomore once too, and they’re only 2 years younger than me.” Another big discussion was “ Do you feel you treat the underclassmen different then you were treated?” Taylor Rohn believes  “ Yeah i definitely do. When I was a sophomore the upperclassman were very mean to me, and I would say I’m pretty nice to the lowerclassmen.” Jake Barkhurst seems to think “ I treat the sophomores how I was treated, how they deserve to be treated.” Nick Lubamersky believes the same. As we talked to the sophomores, one of the topics covered was how the underclassmen felt they were treated a sophomore.  Emily Ream says “ I feel like they could be more inclusive, I have a lot of classes with upperclassmen and they don’t really talk to me.” Phoenix Brown stated, “ I haven’t had many interactions with upperclassmen but they seem nice.” Mustafa Hakeem said, “I’m not scared of them, they’re just people.” Although there is some tension between a few upper and lower classmen, there will always be resentment towards the younger grades, whether it’s junior high, high school or college.

However, Boise High is a really fun and welcoming school to attend no matter what grade you are in!