The Golden What?

Photo Credit: Paul drinkwater/NBC

Jeff Bridges speaking sparked many viewers

Zoe Barkhurst, Reporter

The Golden globe awards were a big hit when they aired on January 6th, but they were also very controversial to many people. The Golden  

Globe awards one of many ceremonies to honor the the greatest films of the world, seems to be somewhat overrated.It seems pointless to have so many award ceremonies., The Grammys, , Emmys, Billboards, Oscars and Golden Globes all have to do with TV shows and films.

It’s unnecessary to have 5 different award ceremonies, because no one really watches anything but the Oscars. Sunday’s awards had over 18 million watchers all over America. This seems like a lot and the response to the winners was all over the place. It was definitely a magical night for the hosts and nominees at the ceremony.

The award for “Best Drama”was given to Bohemian Rhapsody  directed by Bryan Singer., While this movie was off the charts and spectacular, another film,A Star is Born directed by Bradley Cooper,was also unforgettable. Especially because this was his first time producing and directing a movie. There was some dispute over whether  Singer’s or Cooper’s film deserved the award. Sophomore Yale Spoja vouched for A Star is Born saying “ It was definitely a hard choice between the two movies but I think that Cooper’s film should have won.” Bohemian Rhapsody and the actors in it took home quite a few awards along with “Best Drama”. Rami Malek a key actor in Singers film won “Actor in a Drama Motion Picture.” Malek’s breakthrough was in 2016 when he won the Emmy for “Outstanding Lead Actor” In the american film Mr. Robot.

Sandra Oh, one of the lead hosts was the first Asian American woman to host the Golden Globes and take home multiple globes. She took home the award for best actress in a TV series for her role in Killing Eve. Another big hit of 2018 that took home “Best foreign film” was Roma, directed by Alfonso Cuarón. Cuarón also won “ Director of a motion picture. The attendees and nominees of the Golden Globes definitely had a wonderful night, although it will be quite repetitive through out the ceremony season.