Bird Box Challenge

Photo Credit: Nicole Kuykendoll

Processed with VSCO with ih5 preset

Nicole Kuykendoll, Zoe Barkhurst, Reporter

Imagine being completely blindfolded for 24 hours and having to do your normal activities and responsibilities. This new phenomenon, called the Bird Box challenge, tests your ability of not being able to see. The challenge is very funny to some and turns out to be very dangerous and scary for  others. Getting injured and hurt while participating in this activity is very common.

Netflix tweeted about this crisis saying “PLEASE DO NOT HURT YOURSELVES WITH THIS BIRD BOX CHALLENGE.”  The Bird Box challenge can be fun with small tasks but many people have been taking it too far. Big YouTubers like Jake Paul, who has a large fan base that he can get content out quickly, tried the challenge and drove a car like Sandra Bullock did in the movie.

This challenge is also considered to be similar to the meme Tide Pod challenge that took the world by storm last year because people all around the world started eating Tide Pods.  We all remember those laundry detergent pods which have bleach in it and are used to wash your clothes.

This so called challenge is not a practical thing to do, even though many people in our society are blind and are not able to see, they know what they can and cannot do with their disabilities and never would they try and drive a car when they know for a fact they can’t.

While one side of this challenge is dangerous and can get you seriously hurt, some of the stuff is honestly funny and will not get you hurt. A video posted on YouTube featured a family in a bathtub pretending to do the boat scene from this Netflix original.

Even though many Boise High students haven’t done the Bird Box challenge, one student tried it during the school day it found it very hard. People had to lead her around the school because she did not have a stick or a dog to help guide her. If you want to fly off a lime scooter into incoming traffic, go ahead and try the Bird Box challenge, but  I can tell you that from my experience, crashing into a brick wall while doing this challenge is not a good idea.