A New Way to Stay Connected; ‘Among Us’

There are one to three imposters in this game, this is the screen that tells the player whether they will be an imposter or a crewmate. (Moesha Aplicano-Burnham)

Moesha Aplicano-Burnham, Managing Editor

Video games are a very important part of pop culture, and just like anything in the mainstream, there are trends and fads. Minecraft, Fortnite, Rocket League, or Overwatch are examples of this, and as of recently, so is the game ‘Among Us’. The game has been around since June 15th of 2018, but only recently has it become popular.

The game is played with anywhere from four to ten players. It takes place on a spaceship and each player is assigned a color of spacesuit. There are two teams of players in the game, Crewmates and the Imposter(s). The job of the Crewmates is to complete tasks on the ship before the imposter(s) has time to kill or sabotage the people on board, or to eject the imposter(s) off the ship. The goal of the imposter is to kill and sabotage everyone on board without getting caught. When a dead body is reported, or when someone presses the ‘emergency meeting’ button, all the players can discuss who they believe it is, and then vote accordingly. Whoever is voted gets ejected off the ship, whether they were the impostor or not.

It’s interesting how this game has only recently gained popularity, since it’s already been around for two years. 

“My sister introduced me to it first, I never really liked it until it blew up on Tik Tok. When it started coming up on my FYP (For You Page), I started playing it more and now I play it all the time,” says Alison Simpson, a senior at Boise High School. The social media exposure, on Tik Tok and Instagram especially, has definitely helped this game gain popularity. Memes, gameplay videos and fan made animations about the game have become very popular, giving the game more exposure. 

On top of that, the game itself is simple and easy to understand, keeping a balance between being challenging but not to the point of frustration, along with the adorable art style of the game. “I play usually around 2 hours a day, mostly during my classes or between them if I can’t stay focused” says Simpson, “It’s appealing to me because of the mystery of who the imposter is. It makes the game very exciting every round because it’s not repetitive, and I can play with my friends.” The social aspect of the game is just another reason it’s so appealing, especially in today’s climate. 

Staying in touch with friends these days can be a bit difficult due to Covid-19 and social distancing. Gaming is a fun way to stay in touch with friends, but not everyone has access to an expensive console such as an Xbox or PlayStation; however most people have access to a smartphone or laptop, which are the platforms that the game Among Us is available on. The accessibility of the game, along with the short time it takes to play a round makes it easy to play the game almost everywhere. It provides a simple and engaging way to stay in contact with friends while still being safe.