Boise Highlights

The Downtown Dilemma

Updated+parking+meters+in+downtown+Boise+show+the+2+hour+limit+being+put+into+place.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

The Downtown Dilemma

Updated parking meters in downtown Boise show the 2 hour limit being put into place.

Photo Credit: Idaho Statesman

Photo Credit: Idaho Statesman

Photo Credit: Idaho Statesman

Izzy Fox, Reporter

Many might have noticed the changes downtown; cars struggle to fit in a parking spot that are more than 2 hour limits or hurrying to get more time in earlier than usual. Why? On February 1st, metered parking zones increased their limitations.

Meters are now running from 8am to 8pm rather than the previous times of 8am to 6pm. The restrictions apply to the weekends as well.

The times for Saturday range from 10am to 5pm rather than the previous no charge for weekends. Although, Sundays are still charge free.

The days aren’t the only dilemma. The Boise City Council has been discussing increasing the downtown rates for parking garages as well. The rates could be rocketting to three dollars an hour instead of just the good old dollar bill.

The city of Boise has been making large changes to the downtown area because of the influx of new citizens. Forbes has named us, “Boise, the fastest growing city in the U.S.” Not to mention ranking in the 100 largest metro areas.

What happened to our favorite little, nature loving, tree filled city!?

Last year Boise’s population grew a little over three percent and it’s said that by 2040 the ADA and Canyon counties will reach 1 million people. That’s over 400,000 new citizens flooding into the Treasure Valley in the span of 20 years.

Not only are our roads expanding but the job market as well. According to Boise State Public Radio, “Last year, the city was ranked 20th by Forbes on their Best Cities For Young Professionals list.”

The steady flow of new people has brought into the question of preserving Boise’s home grown identity.

Noticing the small changes is easy such as: cars honking more than usual (other states coming in and bringing their unboise like manners with them) or the construction cones lining every inch of pavement. However, the downtown is a safe haven for many Boisians and with the higher parking rates, construction and cramping due to the influx of people, many locals are losing their love for their boise based abode.

Change is never easy, especially in home town that’s been cherished for their outdoorsy, small and loving community. However, as Boise expands we have to learn to grow with it.

Izzy Fox, Reporter

Isabella Fox is a sophomore and is starting her first semester as a staff member on the Boise Highlights team. Ever since she was little her extreme love...