Exchange Students and Culture of Boise High

Joseph Chigbrow, Reporter

Since the invention of the jumbo jet in the sixties, travel has never been so safe, reliable, and easy. Yes, travel has amplified the accessibility of trade, tourism, and even education. In fact, the evolution of travel has even brought to Boise High School some of the students we see around us.

Although, exchange students often come to the U.S. to learn more about the world around them, you will find that there is an equal amount we can learn from them about the contrasts between America and their homeland. One of the outstanding students that walks among the Braves of Boise is Lina Reinstorf, a German exchange student who has noticed a lot about America in the short time that she has been here. She stated that, “There is a bigger school spirit in US high schools, definitely at Boise High. I think it develops a lot more, since you have school sport teams, which we do not have in Germany. Were I live, schools and other activities are separated”. Here at Boise High, our schedules and social structure seems to revolve around sports. We can get day passes to leave school and go watch the team game. School gets out at exactly 3:07 in order to ensure we get as much time as possible on the field or court.

Reinstorf also gives us insight on how we as Americans interact with other people as well saying, “What I noticed is that they [Boise High Students] are more opened to talk to people they don’t know or they give a lot more compliments. That way it is easier to get to know people, but it is harder to build deep relationships”. Whether it is because we have trust issues or simply just want personal space, it seems that  Americans tend to build more superficial relationships, rather than deep ties.

It can be very educational to get a viewpoint from someone else’s eyes on our cultural differences, and similarities. However, travel has also enabled us to go to other countries ourselves and learn in a similar fashion. Senior Caden Reynolds is a  student who has experienced international travel to its fullest, traveling to many countries including Cambodia, Spain, Turkey and France. He observed that both Spain and France are very similar to America in terms of their economy. “They’re both very production based”, he says. But on the flipside, there are different expectations on what is odd, or not socially appropriate. He explains that “No one would care if you just sat down at a cafe for eight hours and didn’t leave” in France. Where as in America someone could find that kind of behavior suspicious or unnerving.

The truly fascinating stories are those told by the people who travel around the globe.

And in the end we must all consider how we as a country are viewed, and use that as our motivation to work our hardest at becoming a better country.