Into the Mind of Paulette Jordan

Sydney Cayo, Design Editor

The rendition of Idaho’s classic small town, Plummer, is where Gubernatorial Candidate, Paulette Jordan experienced her most vital years of youth and development. The lens through which Jordan grew up with was unlike what the students of Boise High have grown accustomed to -putting readers in perspective, just a grade and a half of Boise High’s student body would swamp the town’s population- however commonality lies in the Idahoan title.

Towns like Plummer make up the majority of land here in state, and each hold their own version of the unique culture we as a people have developed between each other. The relationship that we all share as inhabitants this land has inspired a particular dynamic in working together as a whole.

Over time, the people have chosen to govern themselves embracing a ‘Power to the People’ attitude. As a member of the union, Idaho tends to stray from the trends of other states and adopts an in-state policy priority instead. Also unlike trends of other states, there seems to be a  social contract constituting an unspoken definition of what it means to be an Idahoan.

“Idaho is exclusive in what it means to be an Idahoan,” Jordan recognizes, “We are not about one side or the other… in fact, we’re more turned off by it than anything.” Jordan has ran this race as a Democrat, however her views on politics follow the pattern of necessity over political Trend. Liquidating resources, preserving those, and using them to solve problems is second nature to who an Idahoan is, and Jordan seeks to further the quality of Idaho this way. With an acute sense of what Idahoans need, Jordan is a perfect example of simply wanting to do good by the people.

Those who’ve called the state home for generations will have a prioritization for the common good of the people before other things. Respecting the land is apart of making that happen. “I think that’s what truly defines us as Idahoans,” Jordan identified these traits, “Being a good steward [to the land] and being a good neighbor.”.

Aside from being in the House of Representatives, Jordan was also a student at Western Washington University, University of Idaho, and Harvard engaged in business studies. She has served at the National level in business to create international partnerships and such, even working with the president and members of congress. “Because of those developments and experiences [..] I have a greater sense of understanding on the inner framework of things. Now, I can come in with a new perspective on how to tweak things.”

Encouraging policy that reflects the upkeep of the land and an investment in our people has been apart of Jordan’s campaign from the beginning. While Jordan has an extensive background in business, her passion resides with serving her people.

Jordan explains how politics began disrupting the duty the Idaho community feels for. She wishes to keep politics as far away from the common good as possible, however in today’s political climate -bolstered by integrating cultures of other states- it’s becoming extremely difficult.

“People don’t get it when I talk as a progressive and a conservative.” Jordan began to speak of a reality that many of us can resonate with. “I mean… that’s the Idaho way. We like to hunt. We like to go camping. Some like to gather berries and we get our deer meat. There’s all these things that we love to do and it’s not political.”

“It became political because people were selling off land. When public access roads are cut off so we can’t hunt or fish anymore, it turns things political.“ Added is when Idaho consistently places among the lowest in the US in terms of Education, things are made political. With Idaho being the fastest growing state in the nation, things will undoubtedly remain political.

With software becoming the foundation of many World leading companies, a deficiency in technological advancement has left Idaho’s education system in the dust. “Kids are getting into coding, Software programming, developing their own apps, becoming young entrepreneurs. Our kids are ready, but our state is not keeping up.” As the world gets more creative so will our children. The electorate will fail Idaho’s kids if resources cannot be drawn upon to cultivate a thirst for knowledge and an interest in valuable skills through these kinds of exposure.

An advancement in infrastructure and an economic accommodation within Idaho are also imperative to Jordan’s vision for Idaho. The influx of out-of-staters bring forth a welcome diversity, however  simultaneously pose a threat to the currently booming house market, employment, and schools. While the dynamic of Idaho is something to be learned by our incoming citizens, bringing the voices of every Idahoan to the table is part of that bargain along with sustaining the housing market for the growing number of people.

Overall, the people of Idaho, whether your new or have lived here for generations, are obligated with choosing what is best for Idaho. Who will address change where it is truly needed? Who will not shy away from the issues, people, and action? Jordan proves herself a worthy candidate to each of those questions.