Boise Highlights

Trippin Through Idaho

Back to Article
Back to Article

Trippin Through Idaho

Nicole Kuykendoll, Reporter

The holidays are a fun and chilly time of the year, and a busy time for most adults. But you don’t have to go far to find fun and affordable family trips. Even locally there are many inexpensive festive events around the Treasure Valley. One beautiful winter wonderland only a few miles from Boise High is the Botanical Gardens. The Winter Garden aGlow starts November 22nd and goes through January 1st.

There’s lots of things you can do, from sipping on a hot chocolate, to petting reindeer. It’s quite inexpensive, with prices from eight to ten dollars kids to seniors, this will blow your mind with over 400,000 lights.

Another beautiful place somewhat close to Boise is Sun Valley. It’s about a two and half hour drive, but it is most definitely worth the drive. Starting with the Lodge, there is so much to do. Including an Ice Rink, multiple restaurants coffee shops, and bakeries. It is on the pricier side, but an alluring attraction to locals and nonlocals alike.

There are also lots of shops and things to do in Ketchum which is about 5 minutes below Sun Valley. It is quite chilly, but is amazing for winter sports, such as sledding and skiing. Dollar Mountain is one of the best ski resorts in Idaho, especially if you’re a proficient skier. Sun Valley all around is a wonderful vacation spot. Looking for a one day activity to do with your family? Idaho is full of natural and man-made hot springs.

Gold Fork Hot Springs is on Highway 21 and located in Donelley. With affordable prices and natural hot springs it is always great to go here just to get away. While many people often want to go to fun ski resorts but don’t have the time, money, or energy to go to one. Located two to three hours outside of Boise is a a great little town on the lake called McCall.

This town holds a winter carnival with many detailed ice sculptures between January 24th to February 4th. They are made by locals and non locals, and are completely made out of ice, the first place winner from 2018 was a sculpture named “Ruby’s Kitchen” the ice was a a man racing with huskies.Hopefully this small list of activities can help you and your family have an epic trip and make the winter as action packed as possible.

Nicole Kuykendoll, Reporter

Nicole Kuykendoll is a Sophomore at Boise High, and is her first time in Boise Highlights. Nicole is a rookie writer and from taking this class hopes to...