Valete (The Running Narrative)

Joe Chigbrow & Skyler Johnson, Reporter & Reporter

A large tortilla chip with red sauce as an excuse for pizza, and slimy rubbery fruits. The definition of ‘scrumptious’ apparently, as Indy shook his head and took an end seat at the lunch table closest to the exit. It wasn’t bullying necessarily, but more of an unspoken agreement that sophomores sat away from the group. Indy realized he had not yet grabbed a fork for the parfait of strawberries and cantaloupe floating in their own juice. He glanced over to the salad bar, or in this case, more of a bucket with lettuce, and decided he was too lazy to get up and grab a fork to eat something he would hate anyway.

Sighing, he turned towards his ‘pizza’ and dared himself to take a bite. The usual process is to maneuver  ones hand so that it only touches the crust of the pizza. Then lift the point of the pizza towards your mouth. Now close your eyes and take a bite (closing your eyes didn’t change anything really, but it was nothing more than a reaction to the inevitable taste of the pizza). After repeating this process, several times, Adam slid into the seat in front of Indy.

“Sup broski,” Adam chimed in his usual happy tone “How’s the eats?”

“No, just no,” replied a stone faced Indy “And it’s just pizza, how good can it be?”

“Well that’s just because you haven’t had classic Chicago style deep dish,” gleefully Adam began to dig into his own pizza. Smiling with a mouth full of pizza, Adam taunted,

“Mmmmm, disgusting.”

Indy rolled his eyes and dropped half of a slice of pizza on to his styrofoam plate. He looked around the room. The zoo of people featured anyone ranging from druggies, to your physics nerds. There was yelling, studying, fighting, and eating. At one of the circle tables, kids were going to battle in an exciting game of uno, while girls in the corner of the room gossiped about who knows what. Indy’s eyes caught on someone only a few seats down however. It was a girl. Of course it was a girl.

She had shoulder length blonde hair and wore a brightly colored, floral summer dress. Her eyes were hazel that looked like the sun shining through the trees on a spring morning. Captivated, Indy would stare usually until Adam called him out or until he had been caught.

“Hey,” this time it was Adam luckily. “You’re doing it again. When are you going to actually do something about it?”

“At my own speed,” replied Indy “And those in glass houses-”

“Oh please, if I wanted to ask someone I would. I just don’t want to go. The only reason I’m going tomorrow is because you can’t handle yourself. You, on the other hand, are dying to ask someone you have never even talked to.”

“Not really a lot of chances, and what does it matter? Homecoming is tomorrow anyway. It’s just not going to happen,” answered Indy.

“If you really believed that, you wouldn’t keep staring,” Adam said quietly.

The bell rang shortly afterwards and they both got ready to stand.

“Indy?” Adam asked concerned. But Indy couldn’t hear him. All around Indy it was dark, and hot. There was a figure, and then Indy fell.