Boise Highlights

The Year That Began After 2017

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Year That Began After 2017

Goodbye 2018 Hello 2019

Goodbye 2018 Hello 2019

Photo Credit: Project Love

Goodbye 2018 Hello 2019

Photo Credit: Project Love

Photo Credit: Project Love

Goodbye 2018 Hello 2019

Drew Beckett, Reporter

2018 was a horrible year. Did you know that the whole tide pod stuff started this year? Ya tide pods, that was 2018 I’m still confused what the point of putting an edible toxic substance in your body. Looking back at 2018, some of the major things that happened was that the Eagles won the Super Bowl with some magic and the Warriors screwed everyone by signing Boogie on July Second 2018, but who cares because the LGBTQ acronym is now 36 letters long.  

The man the myth the legend my boy Zuck other known as Mark Zuckerberg coming in clutch saving some useless app only moms sipping on chardane use. Can anyone please explain to me what Facebook even is, have they decided that it’s stealing people’s data yet? Is it a T.V network or an old person Instagram?

How can we forget the World Cup, played in Russia somehow not being corrupt and have Paul Pogba lead France to beat Croatia? What a cool test of male spirit by having the players looking like fish on dry land. Soccer is such a brutal sport, I mean running and kicking around a ball, dang there’s some talent in that. I’m not saying it’s not difficult, there’s a reason not all of us play. But soccer players aren’t very tough, if you tap someone on the shoulder, they’re on the ground crying.

t was a big year around the world and here at home. t Boise High the Braves football team won it was almost two whole years since we last won, yes we won, beating the worst team in blue-Timberline. This was a magical game, I mean the Boise High Braves won for once.

Our cross country team was one of the top rated teams in the nation peaking at 5th and finishing 10th. They traveled to ike Nationals in Portland, Oregon to compete for number one, but just falling short and landing in 10th place.

This year, We have welcomed many new students into our school and what an impact a new student body has had on our school.

We also hosted our fifth summit For Liberty and Justice for All was the theme at Boise High in the spring semester of 2018 which was a success.

Arguments are one of the best things we can have, and whether it be political or with your parents we have heard some great arguments this year. Idaho had a major Supreme Court case called Garze vs. Idaho with Idaho deciding to not release him from jail for his attempts to try to be released from jail after his plea agreements of aggravated assault in 2015. Other arguments included the controversy over nominating Brett Kavanaugh, who was the closest ever judge to almost be not appointed in the united states. We also finally saw the man Bill Cosby go to jail for life after many sexual assault allegations.

These were just some of the major things to happen in 2018. Some were good and some were bad, but how will 2018 be defined down the road? Will it be the year that we were told the earth was dying unless we choose to act and try to fix climate warming the cost and damage will be so big that we won’t be able to do anything in 2030 and chose to ignore it? Some might say that this was  the year that the Iran Nuclear Deal was cut off, but there was also the fact that we lost our 41st president George H.W Bush . We also can’t forget how we thought that Zuckey was a reptile, could we?

2018 was awful for a lot of people, but it was also great for many. e can all admit that we can’t enjoy the good days without the bad, so if 2018 was bad, then just wait for 2019. I’m sure 2019 will be a great year, so just try to enjoy it. You never know how many we will have until the Earth goes into a state of emergency for absolutely no reason.

Drew Beckett, Reporter

Drew Beckett will be entering his sophomore year at Boise High School and will be a reporter for the Boise Highlights staff, he is looking forward to writing...