Outside View of Inside Boise

Sydney Cayo, Design Editor

In short terms, coming from another school into Boise High makes every day a great day. In fact, the school’s so cool they can read minds, which is something I learned when an announcement from Mr. Thompson came on my first morning at the school stating that same idea: Everyday is a great day to be a Brave.

Before moving here, driving in downtown Boise was an unfathomable mess of confounding roads with useless one ways that a person was bound to get lost within. I never thought I’d have to experience that on a daily basis. After living in the city for over a year and a half now, I can say that I have acquired road rage for those incompetent in navigating the layout of downtown and defensive of those from my hometown who tell me how horrible Boise drivers are.

Of course, if you were raised in Boise there’s a likelihood that you’ve grown accustomed to so many people around at all times, but one of the main differences is the sheer amount of cars on the road. It something that still perplexes me every time I have to pull over because there’s not enough room on a two-directional street due to the parked cars in the residential neighborhoods.

Not every school in Boise has students park in the neighborhoods. In fact, none of the other 4 do. After becoming familiar with other schools’ opinions of Boise High, it came to my attention that the main turn off is the parking. There are students who choose not to attend Boise High because of the parking.

As a transfer from outside the Boise area entirely, the troubles I’ve had with parking have not come close to making me regret the Boise High experience. Students who came to Boise High from it’s feeder schools like North Junior High and Hillside are typically only aware to a certain extent the uniqueness of BHS’s energy.

That being said, those who’re new to the district will be quicker to pick up all the awesome things, blinding them (or at least me) to any con Boise High has. First and foremost, late start Wednesdays blew my mind. It was like a blessing from the heavens or something. That extra half hour of sleep is such a privilege. The next thing that I thought was a crazy change was the grading policy. Missing assignments enter the grade book as a 50%. This makes for an inclination in students turning in late work. If the missing work entered the book as a 0%, then students know the exact damage not turning in that assignment would have on their grade. It allows for students taking the zero to be more common.

Ultimately, the biggest highlight about Boise High that I can remember is it’s awe-inspiring presence in downtown Boise. I can remember walking past the area as a little kid, already unable to fathom what high school would be like in the rural town I came from. Boise High looked like a castle, abandoned and towering above me. It seemed old and unapproachable, but now I’m welcomed through the doors every day. It’s a truly beautiful and unique school.