Evolving Technology in Schooling

Students+learning+without+engaging+with+one+another.+

Photo Credit: Zoe Barkhurst

Students learning without engaging with one another.

Zoe Barkhurst, Reporter

As the education system has developed and progressed things, have slowly become more and more based on technology. Boise High, in particular, was not a school that used technology for everything in the past, but of course due to the current circumstances we are in, technology is what our education revolves around. 

There are so many positive benefits to the advancements of the technology that Boise High School has adapted. Google classroom is interactive and easy to use. Assignments and due dates are very clear and Google Classroom even has a calendar so you can plan out when to finish all your work. Google meets are also used, it is easy to connect and interact with teachers and classmates. Teachers lecturing are able to share their screens and captions may be turned on to help students learn. Each meet is recorded and posted on the Google Classroom, which is very helpful for students who missed something or need to review the lesson.  Online textbooks are provided for those students unable to pick up a textbook in person. 

Another thing that has become prominent in our learning during this school year (2020-21) is school emails. Emailing was not used very frequently by students in past years, but is something that is mandatory to check everyday, whether that is from your personal teachers or the administration. All of the school announcements and updates are communicated through email, as well as fun and engaging activities the school has provided. 

Some negative aspects of technology, as it is being used, include: the lack of human connection amongst students and teachers. Some students find it immensely harder to learn virtually, as well as hands-on learners. The joy of assemblies, sports, dances, and all the fun things put on during the school year have been stripped away. 

Although it’s not the particular way most students would like to spend their school year, it is what is necessary to protect our community, and this is also temporary. Technology has advanced our community and given us many new opportunities.