Fighting for the Future: Local Climate Strike in Boise Draws Students

Photo Credit: Katelyn Gould

A gathering of students holding neon-colored signs and striking on the front steps of the Idaho Capitol Building to raise awareness about climate change as a part of a larger, worldwide movement.

Sydney Wold, Reporter

Whether it be in Melbourne, Montreal, London, or New York City, young activists seem to be united by one issue, and that issue is climate change. Just weeks ago on Friday, September 25th, students across the globe organized strikes to raise awareness about climate change. Following suit, students in Boise organized a strike as well, specifically students at Boise High School. 

This isn’t the first time local students have orchestrated a climate strike. Just last year, on September 20th, hundreds of students showed up to the capitol building, many hailing from Boise High. The event broke national headlines. 

This year, Boise High’s Green Club hosted the event locally on September 25th. The outcome was smaller in size, but equal in intensity. Katelyn Gould, a member of the Green Club, explained she attended because “taking a stand for what I believe in has always been important to me and it’s my life and future so I am sure as hell going to fight for it.” 

Worldwide, students are striking to raise awareness about rising sea levels, shrinking animal populations, and greenhouse gas emissions. Locally, the strike sought to protest the Stibnite Mine and salmon conservation. The Stibnite Mine is a project by Midas Gold Inc. that seeks to extract gold near the South Fork Salmon River. Though Midas Gold has stated they intend to make the project as non-impactful to the environment as possible, Idaho Rivers United has provided vocal opposition to the project, stating that “The Stibnite Gold project poses a direct threat to water quality and habitat of the South Fork Salmon River.” 

One struggle the climate strike faced this year was operating through the COVID-19 pandemic. Strikers across the world have taken the current circumstances into consideration and have adapted. In Boise, Gould believes that “the organizers did a great job for our age.” Participants were asked to wear a facemask and pictures of the event revealed that attendees were wearing them. 

Besides complications stemming from COVID-19, the strike seems to have run smoothly. Two features of the strike that stood out, according to Gould, were “one, marching to the capitol and two, actually getting kids our age up and talking about the problems our world is facing.” There were also student speakers at the march, including the Green Club presidents and an open mic. 

Global warming is a hot topic, but it also seems to be the one issue that unites. People have come together across political, age, language, and geographical barriers to address the planet’s future. As more people grow aware of the changing climate, necessary dialog occurs, which leads to action. Gould’s closing words urge others to “get involved, you can make an impact and your voice def[inetly] matters.”