2020 Boys Varsity Soccer

Photo Credit: Sent by Zach Owen

The 2020 soccer season for Boise High’s boys teams turned out to be a huge success. The boys varsity team took the State Championship, and the Junior Varsity team took second place.

Just like everything else this year, things were a little different due to Covid 19. It started out with preseason. Both teams did their best to have little interaction with one another but still make the practices useful and productive. For example, the open plays were separated into two groups, limiting face to face interactions. The mask policy was also a very strict ordeal with the soccer teams. Upon arrival, and throughout the practices- masks were required. Even while sitting on the bench, a face covering was required to ensure safety for everyone. As for the games, players on the field did not have to wear a mask. Coaches however, required a mask during all of the practices and games. During the games, each player was allowed two spectators to come and watch, if they wore a face mask. 

Another big factor that came into play this year was the absence of a student section. Zach Owen, a senior player on the team, said, “Without a student section to cheer us on, we had to find energy within ourselves and play for the team. This made the team bond better than I’ve ever experienced before and grew our team chemistry”.

Although they dealt with many challenges, nothing stopped the varsity team from taking it all the way to state- and then winning. With 11 wins, 2 losses and 0 ties, the Boise High soccer team stayed motivated and ready all season. When it was time to play in the state championship, the team traveled to Coeur d’Alene, but were soon faced with lots of snow that ended up cancelling their game against Eagle during the warm-ups, but was rescheduled to play in Middleton. The semifinals is where they advanced to the finals. They then travelled to Twin Falls to play Thunder Ridge in the Championship where they won the boys 5A State Soccer Championship. 

Along with winning the state title, this team also won the sportsmanship award. With covid restrictions, cancelled games due to snow and smoke, and over 1000 miles traveled, this team showed good sportsmanship throughout the entire season.

Although they dealt with many challenges, nothing stopped the varsity team from taking it all the way to state- and then winning. With 11 wins, 2 losses and 0 ties, the Boise High soccer team stayed motivated and ready all season. When it was time to play in the state championship, the team traveled to Coeur D’alene, but were soon faced with lots of snow that ended up cancelling their game against Eagle during the warm-ups, but was rescheduled to play in Middleton. The semifinals is where they advanced to the finals. They then travelled to Twin Falls to play Thunder Ridge in the Championship where they won the boys 5A State Soccer Championship.