Learning, Growing, and Changing: What Last Semester Taught Boise High

Photo Credit: Kaiya Kearns

Remedy Skoro Booth is a junior at Boise High. Here she is in history while learning from home.

Kaiya Kearns, Reporter

We can all agree last semester was a rollercoaster. Dealing with school opening, then closing again, online classes proved painful for students as their motivation and drive slipped. Additionally, the fact that we couldn’t be social in person took a toll on many. What did we learn through all of that? What did we learn from last semester that we could apply to this semester, or later on in the future? Many students around campus had a lot to say about this and shared some suggestions to make this semester more productive, and enjoyable.

Annalise Barth, a junior at Boise High, said “I learned about the Pomodoro Technique. It is really helpful for studying and doing my homework. And I can also work better on my time management.” The Pomodoro Technique is actually very helpful, and I have personally tried it. 

This technique was created in the ’80s, when you work for twenty-five minutes then take a five to ten-minute break. It is useful because it breaks up your day into manageable chunks so you don’t feel overwhelmed. School right now is tough, especially with us moving into hybrid classes. It seems like people in society are all over the place, so using this technique could really help keep everyone’s heads on straight.

Some students talked about how they learned to deal with tasks being thrown at them. Or, how they started to see the bigger picture and that everyone is working really hard while going through some tough times. Austin Reak, also a junior, had this to say: “Online was tough, it kind of brought into perspective how much teachers are trying and how hard it is for everyone right now. I think something I personally could improve on, is being as focused online as I am in school.” 

This statement really brings into perspective how we truly notice what everyone is doing and how much everyone has had to overcome. Also, we all could use a little more motivation during this semester, which does seem quite difficult, but if we stick together we can really pull through this.

Nikkita Scott, a junior, contemplated,  “I learned how to innovate and self motivate when it came to homework and doing it online. I’m not sure what to improve on, but maybe more or better communication with teachers when online.” Most of the students have said they find it most difficult to talk to their teachers. 

There is a barrier that keeps them separated from connecting. Not just to the teachers, but also to other students. It is hard to ask one another for help or to try and understand what is going on in a classroom when you’re not physically there. 

Victoria Wile a junior as well shared, “Last semester I learned a lot about flexibility and learning how to keep moving in really odd circumstances. The pandemic and online school really threw me and it was good that I learned how to adapt to that. If you’re talking personally, then I could work on motivation and keeping stamina to do my best work.” Wile describes a feeling we know all too well. Being very unmotivated is definitely the hardest part of this whole school year, but when you look at everything we went through, you should feel proud.

2020 was a rough year, but we made it through. And now, not only is it a new semester, but also a new year. We should all try to stay positive and find some new ways to get motivated. The end of our 2020-2021 school year is approaching, so why not try and make the best of it?