“You Said Forever, Now I Drive Alone Past Your Street”

Photo Credit: Vogue ( Erica Hernandez)

Olivia Rodrigo, the artist of the multi million dollar hit “Drivers License”

Zoe Barkhurst, Reporter

Drivers License, written by Olivia Rodrigo, was released January 8th 2021. This song rapidly made its way up to the top of the charts on all streaming services. The song has 200 million plays in under a month.  Rodrigo is only 17 years old and created a multi million dollar hit song. As well as music streaming services this song was going viral on TikTok, many users interacting and making their own videos to this song. Some users were stating this was the “saddest song they had ever heard, as well as their go to cry song.” The song was speculated to be written about Joshua Bassett, one of Rodrigo’s co-actors on the Disney show High School Musical remake. Joshua Basset is rumored to be dating Sabrina Carpenter, a former Disney actress, and now a musician. In the song there is a line that says “And you’re probably with that blonde girl.” This sparked some controversy making Carpenter release a song days later. 

Carpenter’s song was full of directed attacks towards Rodrigo such as “Maybe we could have been friends” , “Maybe blonde was the only rhyme”, “You can try to get under my skin, while he’s on mine. This created a spark of drama between the two musicians, fans getting involved and stating their opinions. As well as some drama starting on twitter about the two songs.
Some are saying all of this was a publicity stunt, to make both of the musicians gain more fame, while others believe that Rodrigo’s song was written off of her emotions, and Carpenter’s song was to come back at her. 

Rodrigo is in the Disney Plus hit show “High School Musical: The Musical”. This is where her fame sparked. She released many songs that were featured in the television show, the most known being “All I Want”. Drivers License was an original song written by Rodrigo gaining her over 200 million plays, and over 35 million monthly listeners, 

Despite all of the controversy and drama this song spiraled and spread faster than anyone could imagine, faster than most famous artists have ever seen.