My Theory On Critical Race Theory

Students shoot up hands for a nation of education. 
(Heritage.org)

Students shoot up hands for a nation of education. (Heritage.org)

All over Idaho, people are disputing Critical Race Theory (CRT). CRT is the idea that students should be educated on the history of racism in the U.S. and its impacts on the U.S. today. Many Idahoans argue that teaching this is detrimental to society, but others, including me, think that it shouldn’t be banned from schools. All over Boise news, Lt. Gov. Janice McGeachin, member of the Education Task Force, has voiced her views. She believes that CRT indoctrinates and brainwashes students and states that the teaching of this in schools is “one of the most significant threats facing our society today.” Unlike McGeachin, I’d argue the more significant threat is being ignorant about relevant issues like racism.

Many people oppose CRT since it involves the idea that certain institutions and systems in America are inherently racist. Many people think CRT spreads the idea that racism is deeply rooted in our systems, and many people who realize their privilege may feel uncomfortable or attacked by these statements. I think that privilege is not something to be stigmatized. Instead, I think it’s something people should be aware of, and we should try to give everybody those same privileges.

As well, many supporters of banning CRT claim that the teaching of CRT causes students to be more racist. I completely disagree. Being uneducated and ignorant does not solve racism, but rather causes it. My belief is that if teachers are force dto skip over history or to teach about racism in a more “positive” connotation, students are more likely to have racist views. On the other hand if we teach about history and racism in a honest way, students are less likely to act in discriminatory ways. The best teachers not only educate students, but they also teach students how to be better, more inclusive citizens.

Many advocating students in the Boise community have emailed and sent letters to McGeachin, Gov. Little, and other authorities on how they believe CRT should be kept in schools. In my eyes, these fiery and passionate students’ are so amazing. Unfortunately, it seems like McGeachin hasn’t read the letters, or she hasn’t considered them. I get the feeling that McGeachin is pushing for banning CRT because of a political agenda to get more votes from a certain group of Idahoans. I feel that she hasn’t really taken into account what teachers want to teach and what students want to learn.

The main reason I support CRT is that knowing more about U.S. history and even world history allows people to gain insights into the world. Would being informed about the effects of slavery in the U.S. result in more people engaging in racist behavior? I don’t think so. It’s more likely that knowing about the dehumanizing effects of slavery will open people’s eyes to why racism is harmful. No education policy can completely eradicate racist beliefs. However, with less ignorance, comes more understanding, more equality, and more good vibes.