The Freedom of the Press in Relation to Student Journalism

Photo Credit: The International Federation of Agricultural Journalism

The Freedom of Press is widely regarded as an essential American right, but should this freedom extend to student-led publications.?

Sydney Wold, Editor-in-Chief

The First Amendment in the United States Constitution grants five, inalienable freedoms to every citizen. These freedoms are the freedoms of speech, of religion, of the press, to petition, and to assemble. The freedom of the press, in particular, is a freedom that has been widely debated. Some wonder if “fake news” falls under the freedom of the press, while others argue whether classified information can be published under this right or not.

One aspect of this right that interests me is this freedom in regard to student newspapers. In Hazelwood V. Kuhlmeier (1988), the Supreme Court ruled that student journalists’ First Amendment rights are not violated if school officials censor certain articles in the school newspaper. On the United States Courts website, the Supreme Court stated that because the paper was sponsored by the school, the school had a “legitimate interest in preventing the publication of articles that it deemed inappropriate and that might appear to have the imprimatur [sanction] of the school.” 

The Supreme Court went on to note that the student newspaper was intended to be a “limited forum” for students to write articles that met the requirements of their class, rather than a “public forum” for everyone to share their opinions. In short, this ruling states that the school has a right to censor articles it deems inappropriate because it is a “limited forum” and it is sponsored by the school. 

I have mixed opinions on this as a contributor to a school newspaper. Because there isn’t a clear definition of “inappropriate,” schools can censor almost anything in student newspapers. It doesn’t help that these rules vary from school to school, with some schools censoring politically charged topics, while others don’t censor those subjects. This means that there are no clear rules in what a school can censor and what the school can’t. 

This lack of a definitive line is frustrating and does more harm than good, as students may not have a platform to express their opinions about issues that are affecting them. And since many high school students are affected by issues and events differently than adults, a valuable perspective is going unheard. 

However, I do understand where schools are coming from. A school is a place where students come to learn, but more importantly, schools maintain social order. School keeps students out of trouble and teaches them to become productive members of their communities. This role should be reflected in the student newspaper. Schools should be allowed to censor articles that pose a threat to someone’s safety, spread misinformation, insult faculty/staff members or students, and are flat-out obscene.

But in keeping with this role, schools shouldn’t censor articles on politically charged content, especially if these articles are objective, well-researched reports on the issue rather than opinion. If schools are “protectors of social order” and “preparing us for the future”, then they should allow students to involve themselves in a peaceful form of civic engagement. I would argue that student newspapers are a valuable way for students to have their voices heard on a large platform that staff/faculty, members of the community, and other students can hear. 

Ultimately, the freedom of the press may not be applicable to schools. However, schools should clearly define what is inappropriate and as “protectors of social order”, schools should actually encourage students to voice their opinions on controversial issues because this encourages engagement in decisions that will affect us all for generations to come.