It’s Christmas Time in Boise!

Boise Botanical Gardens, a garden of christmas lights from above in December of 2019 (Moesha Aplicano-Burnham)

Moesha Aplicano-Burnham, Editor-In-Chief

The holiday season is here! The exciting start to the season of skiing, sledding, and ice skating. But with all this cold snowy weather, what else is there to do? Being stuck inside during the winter with limited activities is enough to drive anyone insane. Here are a few alternative holiday activities to do this winter to stay entertained.

Taking a scenic drive to look at the Christmas lights is a very popular tradition that most people have experienced, but there are so many places to go to see the best lights. Boise’s Botanical Gardens annually has a Christmas light walk through that is absolutely stunning. Another location is next to the Fair Grounds in Garden city. If standing outside sounds a bit too chilly, this attraction is the perfect alternative. There is a whole drive-through light show that can be experienced from the comfort of a heated car. 

Aside from Christmas lights, there are plenty of indoor events to enjoy. Plenty of ballets and shows will take place at the Morrison and Nampa Civic Center. On December 17th and 18th, the Nampa Civic Center hosts the Christmas classic ballet, The Nutcracker, which is the perfect family event for all ages. 

Another classic tradition (especially for kids) is visiting Santa. Many people have fond memories of getting their photo taken with the father of Christmas himself. What about high school kids though? Well the Boise Mall has Pet Nights With Santa! A photo of the family pet with Santa, or the whole family including the pet with Santa, would make the perfect Christmas card!

With all the holiday excitement, it can be fun to  focus on old traditions as well as making new ones. It’s a wonderful time of year to spend with family and to create new memories to look back on. Whether it’s an annual skiing trip, or just watching movies together, be sure to take the time to appreciate traditions and the nostalgia that they create.