Why You Should Join Newspaper Production

Dina+Hughes%2C+a+reporter%2C+posing+with+Novembers+issue+of+the+Boise+Highlights.+

Photo Credit: Kaiya Kearns

Dina Hughes, a reporter, posing with November’s issue of the Boise Highlights.

Sienna Rock, Reporter

It’s that time of year again, signing up for classes and creating your schedule for next year. Although this can be stressful and overwhelming, there is one class you should definitely consider signing up for. That class is News Production! If you are reading this, then you are probably familiar with the Boise Highlights. What some might not know is that you can easily be a part of the Boise Highlights staff and there are so many reasons why it’s an awesome elective to take. 

NewsPro looks great on college applications and resumes for many reasons. For starters, the Boise Highlights has an online website that has all of our past articles. Being able to show colleges all of your articles and past work can be really beneficial. Also, in NewsPro you have opportunities to be in leadership positions. The newspaper staff has different editors that help lead and manage the class. Students have the chance to be promoted to an editor if they are in the class long enough and work hard for it. Being a leader and helping organize the paper can look great on applications, as well as building experience of being a leader. 

Students have the freedom to be creative and write articles on topics that interest them. The newspaper has pages full of different articles with a wide variety of topics. If there is a topic that you are interested in, there is definitely a place in the newspaper for it. Students can also get creative with page design. The newspaper staff help design the colors, photos, and designs that are printed for the newspaper. Color swatches and photos can be moved around to create something that you like and is different from the other pages. Besides just being creative, it can also be a way to expand your writing in design skills. With having freedom to explore and be adventurous with designs and articles, you can grow as a writer. Learning skills like interviewing people and taking pictures for articles are just a few examples of skills you can develop. 

Academic wise News Production is an awesome class, but it is also a super fun class. After every newspaper issue, the newspaper staff usually does something to celebrate. Whether this is a party or a day to just relax, we always make the end of an issue special. Newspro is usually a relatively small class, which makes it less of a class full of students and more of a family. It’s easy to become friends with everyone in the class and sometimes even keep them outside of school. Overall, the class has so many fun aspects and isn’t always full of writing and working. 

These are just a few of the reasons News Production is an awesome class to be a part of. If you want to sign up for it, all you have to do is select it as an elective. The Newspaper staff would love to have any newcomers, no matter what grade or experience you have!