Back On Track With Boise’s New Covid Guidelines

Even with students more relaxed, the district is still taking safety precautions against Covid. (icoyouth)

Maryam Al Janabi, Reporter

A lot has changed since the uprising of Covid, with 603 million cases worldwide in total. China’s drastic COVID-19 measures have battered its economy. But government officials say the restrictions are necessary to prevent a widespread virus. China locks down 21 million people in Chengdu amid COVID scare. US deaths are rising as well. About 200 new cases on average every day in Boise, Idaho. The latest figures on COVID-19 shows cases in the Treasure Valley may have plateaued, but they aren’t in the clear yet. Covid tests are coming in as positive, and hospitalizations in Idaho have increased since March. Now it shows that those numbers peaked last month.

On August 8, 2022, the Board of Trustees approved renewing the District’s Health & Safety Plan for Boise’s 2022-2023 school year. The plan is a project renewal at the end of the 2021-2022 school year. The program goes in-depth on vital mitigation strategies, including following the District’s Illness Procedure and protocols when someone becomes sick—making masks optional. Following District illness procedures and protocols includes continuing to train and educate staff and students on crucial infection control practices like hand-washing and proper hand-sanitizing procedures. Custodial staff will continue recommended surface disinfection procedures. 

Mr. Samoza, a Spanish teacher at Boise High, said how he feels about his vaccination status. He’s fully boosted, mentioning he had Covid in June. He feels comfortable not wearing a mask now he’s fully boosted. Mr. Samoza said he thought that even with his students catching Covid, being flexible on his job and following the CDC guidelines helped keep a persistent class. 

A senior at Boise High said she didn’t have anything to worry about now she’s fully vaccinated. When asked for her opinion on their new Covid Guidelines, she simply said she was okay with it.   “If everyone does their part, we can make it easier and safer for all,” She says. If she’s sick, she’ll wear a mask or stay home. The senior wasn’t concerned about the changes and thought they were adapting well in Boise High. The past three years have been quite a ride for the world. It’s recommended to stay home if ill and constantly sanitize your hands. The students and staff of Boise High are excited to see the progression goes forward.