It’s Just a Bunch of Hocus Pocus

Run amok with the Sanderson sisters this Halloween. (Disney)

Andie Nickels, Reporter

The long awaited sequel to the classic 1993 film Hocus Pocus was released on Disney+ as of September 30th. The first movie followed a boy named Max, whose sister and their friend go to the abandoned house of long-dead local witches, the Sanderson sisters. Max lights a candle thinking that the legends around the house are completely made up and accidentally summoned the witches. It’s up to the three teenagers and a talking cat to stop the sisters from taking the lives of all of Salem’s children.

Disney described the sequel with much left to the imagination: “In 2022, twenty-nine years after the events of the first film, three high-school students must work together to stop the Sanderson sisters who have returned to present-day Salem.” 

The sequel begins with the backstory of the Sanderson sisters and how they became witches, including how they became enemies with a local reverend. Fast forward to 2022, two high-school students are gifted a replica of the Black Flame Candle which inadvertently summons the sisters. The witches are out for revenge against the mayor, a decendant of their enemy, the reverend. The teenagers must make amends with their ex-best friend, the mayor’s daughter, in order to save him, and Salem. 

The official trailer for the movie was released last month and hinted at the movie having a darker and spookier feel to it than the first movie did. 

The special effects have increased dramatically, as is expected. Since the first movie, there has been almost three decades worth of technological advancements. 

The actors of the Sanderson sisters returned to the screen again for the second film.  Both movies star Bette Midler as Winifred Sanderson, Kathy Najimy as Mary Sanderson, Sarah Jessica Parker as Sarah Sanderson, and Doug Jones as Billy Butcherson.

The movie was released just in time for spooky season, so enjoy All Hallow’s Eve with the first classic movie and the new sequel. Just be careful of which candles you light this Halloween.