Answers to the Idaho Murders

Photo Credit: Matt Rourke

Brian Kohberger walking out with police officers in hand cuffs

Zelda Fishman, Editor-in-Chief

On November 13, 2022, there was a quadruple murder committed at University of Idaho. For weeks the case went unsolved, as students and residents of Moscow Idaho grew wary and uncertain if the case would ever be solved. On December 30, 2022, a suspect was arrested in Pennsylvania and charged with 4 counts of 1st-degree murder and 1 count of felony burglary.

Bryan Kohlberger is the suspect, a 28-year-old white man residing in Pullman, Washington and  attending graduate school at Washington State University. Kohlberger was pursuing a PhD in criminology. At the end of the semester, his father flew to Washington State University to drive back with Kohlberger together, which his attorney says is something they had planned on doing even before the murders occurred. On this road trip, the pair got pulled over twice: once for speeding and once for tailgating. Both incidents were excused with a warning. 

In the affidavit released on January 6th, 2023, there was new developments in the case, as well as some information that contradicts previous statements released to the public. Xana Kernodle (one of the victims) received a doordash from her phone and was using TikTok until 4:12. This was in contradiction to previous statements that have said everyone was asleep at the time of the murders. This information indicates that she was awake  when the crime was committed around what police estimate to be between 4:00 and 4:25 a.m. 

Kohlberger’s preliminary hearing has been delayed until June 26, 2023, at the request of his attorney. The preliminary hearing is expected to last 3-5 days. If Kohlberger pleads guilty, a sentencing hearing will be set, but if he pleads not guilty, they will continue with a trial.

The case has caused distress for many students and residents at and around Moscow, Idaho and the country. Although a suspect is in custody, many students still live with fear that something along the lines of this could happen to them as well. Precautions to protect yourself could include making sure all your doors are locked at night, staying in groups at night, and letting someone know where you are and where you’re going.