Workin’ ‘Round Boise

A beautiful summer day in Boise (boiseparksandrecreation.com)

Zelda Fishman, Editor-in-Chief

As the school year wanes to a close, many students look outward for other opportunities to fill their time during the summer. Many times hot air balloons are seen off in the distance above Boise. To some, these great feats of technology symbolize the  endeless opportunities that lay ahead. As Boise High students, where do we fit best into the ecosystem of the workforce? 

Many students find jobs around the North End and Downtown Boise. With such good locations, it’s easy to make the trek from homes located in both areas to these establishments. Places such as Blue Sky Bagels, Paddles Up Poke, Stella’s Ice Cream, The Wylder, and CupBop are all places where students seek to work because of the location and the trendiness of the restaurant among our peers. During the summer especially, having a job in an ideal location is perfect for going out after work with friends and enjoying the fact that the sun doesn’t set until ten p.m. 

If you’re looking for a job that might set you up for a possible career path, you might be interested in the program called R.I.S.E. It’s an opportunity to intern at four different companies over the summer, each for a week, where you can learn basic skills and credentials you might need for a job in that area. The companies include Clearwater Analytics, Cradlepoint, J.R. Simplot Company, and Tracer. These corporate companies will provide insight into what it’s like to work a “grown-up job” while giving you great experience simultaneously. Programs such as R.I.S.E. also are attractive on resumes as well for when you apply to colleges or programs. 

Summer is a great time to do the things students don’t have time for during the school year. Making money is important, but also allowing yourself to relax during summer and detoxing the past year is crucial for students’ health and sanity.