Boise Highlights

Ode to Boise High

Love+is+in+the+air.%0APhoto+credit%3A+The+Medinamite+
Love is in the air.
Photo credit: The Medinamite

Love is in the air. Photo credit: The Medinamite

Georgia Udall, Reporter

Dear Boise High,

Though your halls have some funky odors, there is something so homey about these smells that I can’t find anywhere else. I would bottle it if I could. To me, the sound whistling old air conditioners interrupting teachers is music to my ears. Don’t even get me started on your foundation… . The pillars on your front side are incredibly sturdy. Once, I kicked them to see if they would fall, but they didn’t. I’m sorry about that.

Your bathrooms aren’t the cleanest, but you can always find a friend in there who will lend you gum or will help you fix your hair. The toilet stalls have lots of valuable information, and the toilets almost always flush! There is something so magical about the continuous flow of students, through your bathrooms, halls, and doors.

I love you, Boise High. I’ve been hiding it, but I can’t hold back anymore! Students around me are always complaining about you. They say “Dude, I can’t wait to blow this joint and get outta here.” or “I wish I was at home! I’m gonna drop out and become a dancer.” Like most adolescents, I want to fit in. If anyone knew how much I love you… well, I would never be taken seriously. So I say “Yeah, school blows, man! I hate it.” But you are always the last thing in my mind before I go to sleep and the first thing I think of when I rise each morning. Just because our love is forbidden, it doesn’t mean it’s not real. You and I are not supposed to get along. The teenager and high school- natural enemies since day one. I am supposed to hate you. But how can I when you are so lovely?

I wish we could run away together. But you have been around since 1902 or 1903, and you would leave a lot of disappointed people behind. I will stay with you for now, until college tears me away from you. I hope you feel the same way about me, Boise High School. I think we have something special. Don’t forget me, when I am forced to go off to become an adult, using all the skills you taught me, and thinking of you wistfully every day as I go about life. Remember how much I loved you.

Don’t be sad. Even though they may say bad things about you, the students who come through your doors every day always come back, at least for the most part. You are never truly empty. These students love you too (not as much as me, but they still do!) Otherwise, why hasn’t anyone burnt you to the ground? You are ancient, magnificent, and perfect to me. I wrote you a poem.

Roses are red

Boise High School is brick

Out of all the high schools,

You are my number 1 pick

<3

Much love,

A Student