Boise Highlights

How to Become A Better You

Being+a+better+you+is+about+staying+true+to+yourself.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

How to Become A Better You

Being a better you is about staying true to yourself.

Photo Credit: Reader's Digest

Photo Credit: Reader's Digest

Photo Credit: Reader's Digest

Claire O'Melia, Social Media Editor

As the new season of spring approaches, self-improvement is at the forefront of nearly everyone’s minds. Whether it be working to get that summer body, wanting to finish out the school year with a bang, or saving up for that new car, many have goals they want to achieve, but don’t know where to start. Follow these steps and you’ll become a better you in no time!

• Outline your goals. Start off by thinking about what you want to accomplish, then put it on paper. Break the objective down into realistic, achievable steps, separated into categories like daily, weekly, and monthly. Then, work to fulfill those steps!
  • “Do one thing everyday that scares you.” This quote, widely attributed to Eleanor Roosevelt, summarizes an incredibly useful way to step out of your comfort zone. From saying hello to a new person, to finally asking your crush on a date, there are many things you can do in order to spark up your nerves.
  • Give yourself a makeover. It can be as small as styling your hair a new way, or as large as completely changing your wardrobe. Do something that will give you confidence! Additionally, you can rearrange your bedroom, reorganize your school binder, or clean out your car.
  • Make time for self-care. Self-care is vital to confidence, and it never hurts to treat yourself. While you’re working on the external, like doing a face mask or buying yourself a new pair of sneakers, don’t forget to also care for your internal self, too.
  • Embrace change. Maybe you want to become a better you because of a drastic change in your life. Embrace it. Change is what fuels the most creative of minds, and what sparks action.  
  • Look to the positive and learn from the negative. Thinking positively is perhaps the most impactful thing you can do for yourself. Yes, some days everything goes wrong, but consider it a learning experience. Make a mental note of what happened, and try to look on the bright side.
  • Focus on what you love. Whether it be a person, a hobby, or even a book, focus your attention on what makes you happy. However, keep in mind that some things must be done, no matter how it makes you feel.
  • Don’t bottle up your emotions. On a bad day, a happy day, or even just a mundane day, it’s always helpful to let it out. Talk to someone you trust, write in a journal, or even share with a pet.
  • Stay true to yourself. The whole point of becoming a better you is to stay you! Don’t pick up a hobby that bores you or start hanging out with new people who make you feel bad about yourself. Even if you don’t quite know who you are yet, do what makes you feel the most you.

With these steps, you’ll become a better you in no time. However, there is absolutely nothing wrong with who you are currently! These steps are not to change who you are, but simply to help bring out the greatness within you and reach your full potential!

Claire O'Melia, Co-Social Media Editor, Reporter

Claire O’Melia has been an avid writer ever since she was a child, and her love of reading has fueled her passion for writing. As a sophomore, this is...