Athlete of the Month

Lily Christensen

Photo Credit: Lily Christensen

Lily Christensen loves the outdoors, as seen by her giant grin.

Claire O'Melia, Co-Social Media Editor/ Reporter

Sophomore Lily Christensen has been in love with playing sports her whole life. From soccer to ultimate frisbee, she is an enthusiastic and talented athlete who spreads positivity on and off the field.

This season, Christensen’s sport of choice is lacrosse, on the Lady Braves team. Although this is only her first season playing lacrosse, Christensen loves the sport.

“This is actually my first season, so I’ve technically been playing for around a week,” the athlete says.

Although she’s a “newbie,” she is passionate about the game. Christensen explains how she got into lacrosse, “I think it’s a super fun sport, and I was watching a game of lacrosse on YouTube, I thought it was so cool, how awesome they looked. And I knew a lot of my friends were playing lacrosse so I thought it would be fun to try it out.”

The season hasn’t officially started,with the first game in early March. The “Chicks with Sticks,” haven’t been assigned positions yet, but Christensen is “hoping to play attack and shoot on the goal!”

Christensen has been active for as long as she can remember. “I’ve been playing sports since I was around five, when I started playing soccer. And I think soccer and lacrosse are similar in a way, because of teamwork and the field, and the passing. I kind of get the concept, so I guess I have an advantage coming into lacrosse, because I’ve been playing soccer for 11 years.”

The athlete misses soccer, but lacrosse is her new “thing.” Her favorite thing about playing lacrosse is that “it’s so technical, and it takes so much skill to do it, and you can’t just go do it and be the best, you have to actually put some time into it. You have to have some skill and learn. Also meeting new people and playing for fun.”

Christensen concludes, “I think sports are a great way for people to channel energy. I just started playing and I’m already obsessed with it ‘cause it’s super fun. If anybody wants to try it then they should try it, it’s super fun!”

Lily Christensen, despite being determined and fierce while playing, is a enthusiastic and kind person off the field. Keep an eye on her when you watch a Lady Braves lacrosse game this spring, she’ll be the player scoring dozens of goals and encouraging her team with a smile.