The “Lady Brave” Conundrum

Georgia Udall, Reporter

The term “Lady Braves”, used for the female basketball team here at Boise High, has been causing some questions with the students. Some want to know what is meant by this phrase, while others ponder why the boys’ team isn’t called the Gentleman Braves, and still more consider that the girls on the team aren’t ladies at all. We all may have our opinions on what the girls basketball team should be called, but the best people to ask are the girls on the team.

Peyton McFarland, a sophomore player, claims “We play for the school as Braves- ‘lady’ isn’t really necessary.” Junior Sydney Davis agrees, saying “It can be a little bit annoying just because I feel like people look at us at something less than athletes because of it.”

While some girls are miffed by it, the term itself hasn’t hasn’t affected all of them. Co-captain and junior Sarah Carrell expresses that “Being called Lady Braves has never made an impact on me.” She also states that “Girls most certainly do not get as much support as guys do!” Sarah is adamant that being called a “lady” on the court is the least of her problems.

What matters most is student support, and the girls’ team needs more! Sarah says hearing cheers from the crowd gives her another reason to fight. Sarah also goes on to declare that “It is disappointing for my team when we only see the bleachers full on pink-out night.” According to Carrell, “Not only is it disappointing, but it is actually very hurtful. It’s not only girls on the basketball team who feel this way, but girls on other teams (volleyball, softball, etc.)”

Another teammate, Breana Hallam, feels similarly. She says “The school advertises the boys more than the girls.” She also hopes that more students will support the girls’ team by showing up to their games.

While their team is obviously well-respected and admired, the fact that they are suffering from lack of support is often overlooked. Cheers and applause from the bleachers mean a lot more to the girls than it seems. Besides, we can intimidate other teams by showing up at games with plenty of Boise Braves.

The fact is, no matter what we call the girls’ basketball team, it’s important that we show them that the days of boys’ superiority in sports are over. It’s easy to forget that a large group of people cheering on the court can mean the difference between winning and losing to an athlete. Besides, as their whole team exhibits, they are both ladies and braves!