Cowspiracy: How Animal Agriculture Impacts the Environment

The implications of climate change has been an area of concern for decades. Researches, advocates, and politicians alike have long grappled with the harmful effects of climate change and what to do about it.  We hear time and time again that fossil fuel emissions and greenhouse gases are the primary contributor to the climate crisis. But what if there’s more to the issue than what meets the eye?

The documentary Cowspiracy: The Sustainability Secret was released 2014 and takes an in depth look at the animal agriculture industry and its impact on the environment. The film looks at global warming, deforestation, water use, and ocean dead zones, and claims that the animal agriculture holds primary blame for environmental destruction. Moreover, it examines how environmental organizations are dealing with the situation.

Boise High students Alyssa Lu, Livvy Nuxoll, and Sami Eyolfson were so intrigued by the film they were compelled to create a Summit presentation on the issues presented by the documentary. “This topic was one brought up in “Cowspiracy”, and it was the first documentary that really inspired me to make changes in my own lifestyle habits as I became a vegetarian. Aside from the urgency and astounding importance of the issue, it is simply extremely interesting to look at.” says Lu.

Their project will showcase the effects of mass agriculture and how by catalyzing negative impacts on the planet, we in turn translate those negative impacts onto ourselves. Nuxoll explains, “I think that people can definitely take away the fact that injustice is all around us and we need to recognize that. We’ve talked about how we’re harming the world around us but I think we also need to talk about how were also harming ourselves.”

The group hopes to spark a fire under BHS students with their fresh outlook on the inner workings of the climate crisis. By calling attention to the lesser known aspects of human-caused environmental changes, they hope to rally some new advocates for their planet protecting cause.  As avid environmentalists they recognize that all people have the power to make a difference when it comes to saving the planet. They hope that through education of their peers, they can help lead that movement.

Lu explains, “Apart from having students understand the issue, the only real change we will see is if these students make this a priority and begin to fight for the just treatment of our world and its natural aspects.”