Theater at Boise High: The Good Woman of Setzuan

“Morton wants students, staff and the plays audience to know that many people contributed to the production, and she wishes more students would take the time to recognize how hard they work to provide a perfected production for everyone.”

Processed with VSCO with b3 preset

Torey Tapp, Social Media Editor

Boise High School is so lucky to have such talented and dedicated students involved in clubs and classes all over school. One particular class has just recently put together their first production of the school year! Boise High school theater program performed “The Good Woman of Setzuan”.

They began the long and detailed preparation for the play at the beginning of the 2018 school year. The play begins with a monologue by Wong, a character in the play. He then continues talking to the audience about how he has heard that a few of the highest-ranking gods are on their way to the city of Setzuan.

The gods have heard people of the world complaining about their lives,  and they are coming to deal with it. The ongoing theme throughout the play is “What does it mean to be a good person?”

“It’s not typical for high schoolers to do something that off the wall” said Zoe Carr, a senior in theater five. Zoe explained this was because it wasn’t a simple play to take on.

This was going to be a challenge considering this was a little more difficult than other plays theater has completed.

Considering boise highs audience of the play had a very positive response she thinks it was successfully performed. “Almost everyday in class if people weren’t rehearsing they were working on the set.” Hours upon hours were spent by students working to prepare the best performance possible for all to see.

Although, things didn’t always run smoothly. The first dress rehearsal didn’t go exactly as planned, part of the set fell over in the middle of the show. Adjustments were made and it was a learning experience to make the following shows even better. This play stands out from the rest because of how the actors had involved the audience in the play.

Jordan Morton is a junior who has been invested in theater the past six years. She feels that the play stands out from others because of the way the audience was interacted with. “There were multiple times when I would go out and talk directly to the audience and I would look at them when I was talking so they would know they were a part of it”. They did this because it was something new and different.

Another reason why it is so impressive for a high school production to take on such an orchestrated play. Morton says everyone before-hand was so surprised because there was a lot of work and effort to be put into it.

Morton wants students, staff and the plays audience to know that many people contributed to the production, and she wishes more students would take the time to recognize how hard they work to provide a perfected production for everyone.

So, thank you to those who came out to show you support and thank you theater for providing Boise High with your talent and hard work!