Growing From Grief: Overcoming Loss

Losing a loved one, is one of the hardest things most people have to bare. A lot of us have been there or will eventually face something similar. It’s never easy to comprehend and it’s definitely not easy to move forward. Family members, friends, pets, objects, dreams and so many other things are held very special to the victims of loss.

Torey Tapp, Social Media Editor

Loss cannot be compared or evaluated because it means something so unique to every individual. Coping with the loss of an important someone in your life is completely up to the person affected. It cannot be rushed, and it cannot be forced. It’s hard…. really hard, and so confusing, but finding peace is everyone’s hope.

We learn and we love to come to terms with our own circumstances, because even though it hurts, we will be okay.

Junior Maggie Olson is one of Boise High’s very warm souls that has been affected by loss. In early August of 2018 Maggie said goodbye to her grandmother, who had been diagnosed with Alzheimer’s around 15 years prior to her passing.

“It was hard to accept, but it was easier knowing that she was better than she was here” commented Maggie when speaking with her. “I’m not the best coping with things” she added. “I just needed time to think about what had happened”.

Junior Kate Roth is another light Boise High is lucky to have. She lost her Grandfather in late February of 2019. “It really shows you how many things people leave unfinished” she added in an interview. “I never actually got to say bye to him, if I had another day with him I could think of so many things that I would’ve loved to have said, or asked him”.

These are only two of many students from Boise that experience similar circumstances, including me. In late January of 2019 me and my family said goodbye to my grandmother due to cancer. Learning how to comprehend the idea of someone so special leaving us was never something our family or anyone else can truly prepare for. We learned to celebrate her life and the time we had with her instead of feeling sorry for her and ourselves. After everything, we’re here, months later, finding our peace just like she did.

Kate helped me understand that when losing someone you really notice how much we take good things for granted when we have them. Finding ways to give appreciation and show love whenever we can makes a difference. So spread love! Everywhere and anywhere!

After speaking with Boise High students about their own personal affiliation with loss, it became clear we’re all not so different in the way that we hurt. We all hurt when facing hard and tragic events. We can react and express ourselves differently but we are all still victims of the pain that comes from loss, whatever it is you’ve lost.

So please, if you’re hurting, speak out. Ask for help. Grief is not something to pent up and be ashamed of. Everyone faces it. We are humans that experience pain, and sorrow and guilt. We are here to help each other.