The Spike in Student Climate Strikes

Students protesting and calling for their government to take action against climate change. (Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images)

Bella Rock, Reporter

Climate change is a hot button issue in the world today. With ice caps melting and impending inhabitability of our planet, concern is growing in the hearts of many, specifically the younger generations considering that it is their future at risk.

In recent months, there has seemingly been an increase in student protests surrounding the climate crisis, from the walk out in September 2019 to the protest outside Chase Bank building calling for the reduction in fossil fuel usage in January of this year.

Today’s youth are seemingly fed up with the destruction of our environment and the lack of progress to end it; however, they have been adamant in making their voices heard.

One of the figureheads of this wave of teenage protests, Greta Thunberg, has travelled around the world, protesting and speaking out, hoping to create a ripple of change in the way we live our lives to better the environment.

Millions of adolescents worldwide share Thunberg’s sentiment.

There are many organizations gaining momentum aiding teenagers in taking action to ensure their views on climate change are heard, one of which being the national Sunrise Movement Organization which recently created a “hub” in Boise.

Isabella Hill, host of Boise High’s student hub of the Sunrise Movement, believes it is important that teenagers are making their voice heard because, “As the young people of this country and of this world, it’s our future on the stake.”

Teenagers feel the constant pressure to salvage the future but feel silenced.

Hill sympathizes with the concern around our future saying, “In ten to fifteen years, if climate change and the climate crisis persists as it is right now, we’re the ones that are going to be hurt.”

However, students are no longer giving into the stereotype that, as Hill put it, “High schoolers (are) not politically active, not voting, and not really caring about what is going on in the world.”

Hill went on to say that students are fighting to push back against this stigma and to, “Totally turn that (stereotype) on its head.”

One major movement by students fighting global warming is approaching as Hill, and many other students, work in part of the national movement by students for an Earth Day walk-out.

Students involved aim to mobilize their classmates to participate in the nationwide walk-out in support of pushing legislators to take action against climate change. Hill is passionate about this cause, saying, “We care about our world, and we’re going to keep fighting until there’s a difference made.”