Braves Boys Basketball: The Success of this Season

Braves varsity boys basketball has been a showstopper this season, winning games and having the huge support of our student body has shown them to be some of the biggest “celebrities” at Boise High.

Manny Varela, the head coach of the boys varsity basketball team, says that “a factor that has been contributing to the recent success of our varsity program is that our players all share the same unified goal.”

The goal for many of the athletes is to win the game, no matter who their opponent is. Playing as a team rather than as individuals, we have seen the tremendous effect this has on their playing with their recent success.

The success of the team can also be contributed to the competitive mindset that the team shares. According to Varela, “ Sometimes that turns into hyper-competitiveness, but that is encouraged!  We want tough, gritty, hard-nosed kids that are ready to grind. I believe this attitude is what makes our players as individuals better but also our team as a whole.”

The players, comprised of many seniors, have been working hard this season to achieve their goals. The training includes a variety of practice styles that benefit the players. Senior, Lucas Centeno, explains, “The coaches push you to your limits in practice so in games its relaxing because you’re working less hard.”

Another key element of the team’s cohesion is the bond that the players share. According to the players, this years team has truly meshed into a unit that has proved to be a powerful force this season. Lucas Centeno explains that “The team chemistry and just knowing each other has been a big factor in our success this season.”

The current success of the team has attracted large crowds of students. Many students enjoy the energetic atmosphere and the team spirit that is almost tangible at the games. The rush of observing the fast paced sport, mixed with the chants initiated by leadership and the cheerleaders make for a true event. One that BHS students can’t get enough of.

Camas White, a sophomore, explained why she loves attending Boise High basketball games. “My favorite part of the basketball games is definitely how hype they get, and it’s awesome that I get the hang out with my friends while watching the attractive boys play.” she says with a laugh.

The group effort of the incredible coaching staff, the hard work of the players, and the support of the BHS students body have contributed to a very successful season for the varsity boys. With the end of the season approaching everyone is eager to follow the team into their future, with high hopes of victories.