Boise Subcultures

Photo Credit: Talo Pinto via Flickr

Hyde Park, a local cultural centerpiece of the North End

Edie Munch, Reporter

With the misguided stereotype of Idaho being the ‘country, yeehaw, farming’ state, we happen to have one of the most diverse, expanding cultures in the U.S. (yes, there are those people who farm and ride horses in Idaho, but they contribute to the uniqueness…support your local farms!).

Boise is on the list of the top twenty-five fastest growing cities in the United States. The tons of people coming from all over the country are contributing to the growth and expansion of Boise. With all these new community members, each with their own different backgrounds, beliefs and religions, Boise continues to become more and more diverse.

Within the city lines of Boise, there are different ‘subcultures.’ Most people are included in not just one, but multiple of these ‘subculture’ groups. These ‘subcultures’ can be defined in varied ways, such as neighborhoods, clubs, work, or friend groups – you name it!

One type of ‘subculture’ involves classifying people by what neighborhood they live in (keep in mind, all neighborhoods are rad and have different characteristics, and thats what make them unique and you always should love your neighbors!). The most recognizable neighborhood many students at Boise High are associated with is the North End. This is primarily because of the location of Boise High. For example, you probably have heard the group ‘The Northenders’ (people who live in the North End neighborhood of Boise, obviously). However, the reality is these subcultures do have a few stereotypes. The most common association towards a  ‘North Ender’ is they probably own a pair of Birkenstocks, Hydroflask, they hammock 364 days a year, and basically live at Camel’s Back (which isn’t always true but usually is). Most students of Boise live in the North End, making them by definition a North Ender.

Taking a more in depth look into subcultures in Boise are the various friend groups, clicks, or whatever you like to call them. Within Boise High itself, there are many different types of people and groups, but we’re not like most schools. You know in movies and T.V. shows there are groups like “The Mean Girls”, “Jocks” and other very stereotypical groups, but Boise doesn’t really have those. “Boise (High) is a community as a whole and I do believe everyone can be friends with everyone, but there are groups people can identify with,” says Boise High junior, Lily Christensen. There are lots of different friend groups and groups you are probably not likely to see anywhere else. For example, we do have people in groups like: The nature/outdoors kids, people involved in music and band, Soundcloud rappers, JROTC, and many more. People at Boise feel like while there are these groups, each person is willing to meet new people and have an open mind. Former student of Capital High, Sammy Barnett, explained how Boise is such a different school and that there are different clicks at Boise, but if you ever wanted to ‘join’ a group, you could easily. Boise is such an open, friendly community compared to Capital.

Defining ‘subcultures’ can be interpreted in many ways. But, with a fast growing city, and equally fast growing school, Boise is resulting in many different types of unique people who are changing both how we live and the groups we live in.