Making the Best of Covid Homecoming

Boise High Students making the most out of Homecoming by dressing up for the virtual dress up days.

Brooke Dudley, Reporter

For most people, homecoming is a pretty big deal. From shopping, hair and makeup, pictures, dinner, dance, and after party, this is an excuse for kids our age to come together and have a good time. The week of homecoming is also unique because this is when school spirit really comes out. This could be the dress up days, assemblies, or football games, but something always feels very special during the week of homecoming. 

This year, things are a little different. Because of the Covid-19 virus, there will be no homecoming. It is in everybody’s best interest to shut down homecoming this year due to the unpredictability of this virus and the obvious fact that we aren’t in school. To many students, this comes as sad news due to the fact that this is the time when the whole school can come together for a dance. Although there isn’t a physical dance, many students are taking alternatives and still making something special out of this homecoming time of year. 

Ryan Walther, a senior at Boise High, who is also a member of the student council, took a fun and safe alternative. He told me that the reason they couldn’t do homecoming was because there was no way to make it safe for everyone. Ryan and a few friends decided to still make a night out of it. They kept safe by keeping the group small and isolated and by wearing masks when they were together, but taking them off for the pictures. 

Bishop Kelly, a high school in town that is fully back to school, had a great way of celebrating homecoming without doing the physical dance. Mallory Knell, a senior at BK, also a member of the Student Council, gave me some insight on what BK did to celebrate in a safe way.  Because they are able to be in school, they had the regular dress up days to celebrate homecoming week. They did homecoming royalty, and they held a movie night on the football field where everyone was socially distanced and safe. Mallory and a few friends also got together that weekend to take pictures and get dressed up. She was happy BK was able to make homecoming a special thing for everyone despite the circumstances, especially because it is her last year. 

Although there is an absence in the fun things the school does to celebrate homecoming, there are a lot of other ways students can celebrate this fun part of the school year. Keeping things small and isolated is the most important thing at the moment. Although it would be fun to throw parties and have big gatherings to celebrate, that is just not in the best interest of anybody right now. From what I am seeing on social media outlets, Boise High students are doing a good job of celebrating homecoming, but doing it in a safe way. People are still finding joy in just the dress up, pictures, and dinner part of it. 

Although it is a sad year with the lack of school and everything that comes along with it, students are being very creative with making the most out of it. Because we want to keep the homecoming tradition alive for next year and the years to follow, staying safe and making smart decisions especially around this time of year is important.